Friday, May 24, 2013

Book Review: Letters of a Portuguese Nun


My uncle actually gave me this book to read a couple months ago. He said it was an interesting controversy- a Portuguese nun in the 17th century had an affair with a French officer and wrote letters to him after he left her to go to war. Historians were divided on the accuracy of these letters. Regardless, I really enjoyed reading the five letters.




Here are a couple of my favorite lines:

""It may be you will find greater beauty, but never will you find such love, and all the rest is nothing."

"I write more for myself than for you, I try only to soothe myself, it is as well, the length of my letter with scare you..."

I do not know who I am, what I do, or what I desire; I am torn by a thousand contrary emotions.

This design is useless and impossible and I have sufficiently experienced your lack of character to know that you will forget me without any help or without need for a new passion.

I found it quite easy to put myself in the nun's (Mariana) position because of the historical background the author added. With that being said, I thought there was too much historical content. I think the information could be summed up in a more compact way and more emphasis should have been put on the letters. Even of you don't read this book, I strongly recommend looking up the letters. They are well written and full of emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment