Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Book Review: Red Riding Hood


The past week's posts have been mainly book reviews and that's mainly because my work doesn't allow bright makeup, I have to wear a uniform, but my job has been very boring that all I do is read most of the night. I will be doing FOTDs of my work appropriate makeup but they won't be very exciting as I'm still trying to use up products.

Anyway, I've been reading a lot so I've been getting through books extremely quickly and therefore posting reviews left and right. There will be at least 2 more after this review until it stops for a while. They're putting me in a different position which will be good for my boredom but I won't have much to post until my days off!

Read on for the review...




"Summary: Valerie's sister was beautiful, kind, and sweet. Now she is dead. Henry, the handsome son of the blacksmith, tries to console Valerie, but her wild heart beats fast for another: the outcast woodcutter, Peter, who offers Valerie another life far from home.

After her sister's violent death, Valerie's world begins to spiral out of control. For generations, the Wolf has been kept at bay with a monthly sacrifice. But now no one is safe. When an expert Wolf hunter arrives, the villagers learn that the creature lives among them--it could be anyone in town.

It soon becomes clear that Valerie is the only one who can hear the voice of the creature. The Wolf says she must surrender herself before the blood moon wanes...or everyone she loves will die."

I wish I had read the reviews on this book before I bought it. I planned to read the book and then watch the movie the book was based on. In short, this book tried too hard. I never connected or liked the main character- or actually any of the characters. (Maybe Henry, but even he was a bit too much). 

The problem starts with the people. Valerie has two men in love with her but with one of them, I haven't the faintest why. It's all physical attraction and no depth. There isn't much conversation time between them other than to confess their "need" for one another. 

As far as her sister's death, Valerie brings up memories as if she is forcing herself to. It's hard to explain but it just really feels like the author is trying to force Valerie to miss her sister. The memories are nothing special and seem like they are included because they have to be. 

The writing just tries too hard as well. Everything is described and put into a simile or metaphor that is maybe meant to add some depth to the book? The action scenes were well-written, however. I never knew what was going to happen next and never suspected who the wolf was. Unfortunately, since this was adapted from a screenplay, we can't give all the credit to the author. One thing that really irked me was the lack of an ending. Yes, the book ends but there is not complete ending. To find out who the wolf is, we have to go online and read the last chapter. What kind of author decides to take out the last chapter and forces the reader to look online for it?! I just found that completely ridiculous. 

Personally, I would have been fine not reading this and I wish I had watched the movie before because I wouldn't have picked it up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment