Thursday, July 11, 2013

Book Review: A Tree Grows In Brooklyn


Well it's been just over a month since my last book review! My high school's library was getting rid of some older books and I was able to get this one. Of course, this was a couple years ago and classic me, I just this year picked it up to read. The book was in a slightly worse than normal condition and some of the first pages were falling out.




Of course, I'm not going to rate the book worse just because some of the pages are falling out. I mean there was something very cool about reading smaller text than normal on older pages. As I read, I felt like I was reading a diary I had found in an attic somewhere in Brooklyn, New York. As much as the life events and plot points were out of date, the ideas and lessons weren't.

The girl, Francie, lives with her younger brother Neely (short for Cornelius) and her mother Katie and father Johnny in Brooklyn, New York in the early 1900s. Her mother works hard cleaning homes and Johnny is a singing waiter who rarely finds work but manages to get drunk a lot of the time. The book focuses on Francie growing up in the situation. She's forced to mature fast and take her life into her own hands.

Since it did feel like more of a diary, not much (in terms of plot points) seemed to happen. I don't know if I'm used to more fast-paced novels or what, but it felt like this dragged on and on. Only at the end was I staying up late to read more. The writing also seemed a little dated which made it a little more uninteresting to me.

Bottom line, if you are interested in the historical aspect of this book or are interested to see what kinds of trials this poor family had to go through, I would recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment